Thursday, May 14, 2015

Thursday's Dream Schemes: The Frugal Frigate

This card by Laura Drahozal, who has been on the Dreamweaver Stencils design team since it's beginnings, reminded me of a wonderful Emily Dickenson poem that often pops into my head whenever I hear or see the word "Frigate" (of course an old fashioned word for ship). Here's her poem:

There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry-

This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll
How frugal is the chariot
That bears the human soul

Reading has always been a wonderful escape for me and this poem says it all, doesn't it? Imagining and creating is very similar in my life, it really puts the mind in a relaxed state and the process doesn't cost a dime, pretty inexpensive therapy. 


Since I love this creation so much I asked my mom if she would offer the Frigate stencil and the Mermaid rubber stamp as a kit with some quality polyshrink plastic. The mermaid is of course much larger than you see on this piece of shrinkie. She did add a piece of shrink plastic to the kit that is high quality. I had  purchased some at a local big box store recently and it was horrendous and shrunk in a very uneven wonky way. So she has added a piece that is much better and worth using. Go to her Stencil with Style site if you are interested in the discounted kit. If you would like the step-by-step instructions HERE is a link to Laura Drahozal's post  from a few weeks ago. Beautiful job Laura!





Just a quick note to let you know that Wayne and I will be teaching a Sten-tangle class at the Cracker Jack Store in Redlands CA on Wednesday, June 3 at 5:30-7:30PM.  Contact the store for more details if you are interested in taking the class: 909 793 2200.

This quatrafoil stencil (LX7010) design was paste-embossed onto black paper with silver embossing paste (DSP) and then after it was dry Wayne used a variety of patterns and a micron pen to sten-tangle the image. Wayne is a certified Zentangle Teacher and I always learn a lot when I co-teach with him. Hope to see you there!

3 comments:

Indira said...

The dimensional effect and the designs look very very nice!

ionabunny said...

Love how the waves flow out of the frame on the gorgeous frigate card. Your tangles look so opulent on the silver ep. Hugz

Laura Drahozal said...

Thank you so much for featuring my card! It was really fun to create.
Your Zentangles are stunning on that paste!

Post a Comment

Blog Archive