Thursday, April 21, 2011

Zentangling on Thursday's Dream Schemes/Hoppy Easter


Sketch Challenge by Lee Kellogg
A week ago I was an exhibitor at the National Art Materials Trade Show in Phoenix. This show was open to retailers that were members of their trade organization, mostly art materials stores. I was joined by design team member Lee Kellogg, who did today's sketch challenge and by Pam Hornschu another DT member. When time would permit and we had the opportunity, we walked the show floor to see what was being created. During my excursions I met Suzanne McNeill-Sparks, the owner of Design Originals, and watched as she and Cindy Shepard showed people some of their wonderful publications for the arts and crafts industry. Some of their latest  books are about the art of Zentangle. Suzanne explained to me that this unique craft is all about using fine tipped ink pens to create small patterns...it was originally called "Zen" tangle because of how relaxing it was to the originator of the technique, Maria Thomas. Although this is not a new technique it was new to me and while watching them create I was inspired to see what they could do with our stencils. I am grateful they had time to show me. The first card uses the bunny stencil (LM 2008). Suzanne outlined the stencil with a very fine tipped black ink Micron pen from Sakura, then she started filling it in with her various patterns. She handed it to me and gave me permission to share it with you in the form of this card for our weekly challenge. A special thanks to my husband, Wayne, for Zentangling the rolling hills under the bunny, he also added the "hoppy Easter" sentiment using our stencil (LM291), in honor of this week's holiday...hop yours is peacefully zen.


By Cindy Shepard from Design Originals
    Then later at the same show Cindy Shepard "tangled" the rooster stencil (LG732) in the same manner. She traced the design onto paper to create the rooster's image by using her finest tipped Micron pen from Sakura, after removing the stencil she drew her detailed patterns into each section of his feathers etc. I love how she positioned him just off the paper too. 

Be sure to see what the team has created this week, you may even see some more Zentangles! Follow the team's names on the sidebar at the right and be sure to comment if you're inspired...they love your encouragement. Hopefully you will get the chance to use Lee Kellogg's sketch this week and play along with us. You don't have to Zentangle, but if you get the opportunity learn more about this fun craft by taking a side trip to www.d-originals.com and find out what books Suzanne has to tempt you with, like this book from her site:
One of the many books from www.d-originals.com









10 comments:

Wendy said...

WOW Lynell, that is absolutely stunning!!! This may be my ticket to all my little doodles I do while talking on the phone. I have a small problem with doodling. I think I may give this a try!! Thanks for sharing!

Marijane said...

What AMAZING cards! I have been intrigued by this technique for sometime, purchased a Zentangle book, practiced a bit but had never thought of combining it with Dreamweaver stencils. The effect is outstanding and less intimidating than doing a whole page. I am going off to try it on the tiny bunny stencil. It's small and a perfect place to begin. Thanks for the great inspiration!

Louise said...

These are fabulous!! I love, love, love this and will definately be giving it a try this week! Wayne did an amazing job with the rolling hills!

sommrstamping said...

I can't wait to try this technique, I love doodling and this takes it in a totally new direction. These cards a simply stunning and tell Wayne he did a great job on the rolling hills.

Lee Kellogg said...

I love the finished cards you made with the samples! I think Wayne needs to be part of the team too - he can zentangle all of your cards! You and Pam get the hats off for running with the new ideas.

Pam Hornschu said...

Wow, Lynell. The cards you created with the DO Zentangles are wonderful! Love Wayne's rolling hills! Did he do that by hand with pens or graphically? In either case, props to him, too!

Robyn said...

lovely-
thanks for sharing

Kristi said...

love it...I feel a class coming on!

Lynell Harlow / Dreamweaver Stencils said...

Wayne drew all of the Zentangles free hand with mostly a .01 Micron pen. Some of the blacker filled in areas were a 05 Mircon pen...also the actual drawing of the rolling hills lines were initially done with pencil and then the 05 black Micron pen was used to define the pencil marks.

Laura Drahozal said...

Very cool. I looked at Zentangles, but did not think about doing them with Dreamweaver! I especially like the rooster. I might have to do that myself in a class this fall.....

Post a Comment