Thursday, December 1, 2011

Thursday's Dream Schemes/Silver & Turquoise Colorway Challenge

Well at first glance this creation may not impress you as being silver and turquoise. However once you read this you will understand why I thought it would qualify. For those of you who enjoy the metallic leafing technique done on embossing paste here is the gist of where I am headed. There are basically four types of variegated metallic leafing that Dreamweaver sells. They are called variegated green, red, blue and black. The blue and the green are fairly similar and have a golden undertone so when I do the prep work with a metallic paste I usually use the Dreamweaver Gold Embossing Paste (DGP) and the red has a definite orange metallic undertone that "says" to me, "I'm copper", so of course I basecoat with the Dreamweaver Copper Metallic Embossing Paste (DCP). But the black has always been a bit of a misnomer to me. It has a bit of golden tone to it and yet the variegation is more silvery to me, so why they call it "black" I am not sure....hmmm, but because I perceive it as silver I usually basecoat with the Metallic Silver Embossing Paste (DSP). And that is what I did with the new ornate Christmas tree (LX7003). 

For the second part of this colorway challenge I would also like to draw attention to the turquoise cardstock that I've used. This beautiful cardstock is imported from Japan and is offered by Hanko Designs owned by Kathy Yoshida. You will find that on her site it is referred to as Tsumugi Turqoise. These lightweight cardstocks absorb the embossing paste beautifully.

Once the paste was dry I repositioned the stencil with removable tape and daubed the Stamp & Stick Glue onto the swirly areas of the design and the star at the top. I removed that stencil and heated it with a heat gun for 15 - 30 seconds until these glued areas became tacky and then applied the black variegated leafing and burnished it with a firm clean stencil brush. I then repositioned the stencil again and daubed on the same glue and stenciled these glued areas with a small stencil brush and the mica powders sold by Dreamweaver called Metallic F/X...the colors I used? Poinsettia: Plum Royal, Holly Leaves: Ivy Garden, Pears: Goldfinch, Partridges, Sapphire.

The pin was colorized with the new Artist Grade Alcohol ink Color Solution: Color- Iceberg. It is really fun to colorize the white or ivory pins with any of the new Color Solution inks.

Be sure to follow the sidebar at the right and visit the rest of the team to see what they have done for this beautiful colorway challenge. And if you are interested in playing along with us this week just add your name to Mr. Linky below and we will come visit your blog. If you don't have a blog but would like to send me a sample of one of your creations I would love to post it for you.


This is a card by Rebekka Behunin let me post, she travels and teaches with Dreamweaver Products here in Southern California. This is another turquoise and silver creation: the metal is colored and then sanded. She used the swirl stencil in the background (LJ873) and the gingko stencil on top (LJ893) and then paste embossed on the black cardstock with the Dreamweaver Silver Embossing Paste (DSP) using the thank you stencil (LG691).

7 comments:

Terrece said...

Gorgeous!! I did the tree for one of my "audition" pieces. It really is lots of work, but SO worth the result.

Louise said...

Great minds do think alike, I used Hanko paper and an embellishment pin too! These are both beautiful, the colors are spectacular.

Pam Hornschu said...

Thanks for sharing all the details on your gorgeous tree card, Lynell! I keep forgetting to use those fabulous leafs. To Rebekkah, love your metalwork on this card!

Kristi Parker Van Doren said...

Both cards are fabulous! Rebbeka is amazing and so glad she is doing teaching. I use so much leafing and it is way messier than glitter for me but I love the little floating flakes dance around me! Beautiful Cards!

SherylH said...

Two beautiful cards!

Wendy said...

Gorgeous cards Lynell!!! The black gold leafing is my favorite!!! I hope your having a great time on Georgia!!

Laura Drahozal said...

I LOVE these. They are both so unexpected! I adore all the colors on the tree. I am fascinated by the metal work on the bottom card!

Post a Comment