Thursday, December 29, 2011

Thursday's Dream Schemes/Celebrate! A New Year for Dreamweaver

I am really looking forward to the New Year! I know the Dream Team of 2012 will have many creative projects to share with you, so get ready to boogie!!!


Before I forget, I just want to let you know that I will be teaching at Scrapbook Territory in Berkley, CA on Jan. 14. Check their blog for details.  
OOPS...I guess there was an error, on their blog it says Jan 12 Thursday, but I will be there on Jan 14 Saturday, not Thursday.


This week we are focusing on creations that celebrate looking forward to what's ahead and these three kitties are doing just that as they peer into a window created with the faux ceramic tile technique.


To create the window I first dry embossed the tile grid stencil (LJ811) by running it through my Big Shot embossing machine. Then I stenciled yellow pigment (using a 3/4" stencil brush) at the bottom sections of the window, oranges through the middle (use a second clean brush for oranges and reds) and at the top section I stenciled with purple pigment ink (again use a clean brush for your darkest colors). Be sure to leave the grid stencil in place on the white cardstock. I then taped the confetti stencil (LJ854) on top of the grid stencil and stenciled spring green and blue pigment ink through the confetti stencil onto the yellow areas of the window, red on top of the orange areas and magenta on top of the purple areas of the window. Next I removed only the confetti stencil. To finish off the window, which appears in real life to be shiny (hard to capture in the photo), as you would believe glass to be...I again left the LJ811 grid stencil in place and used a jumbo dauber and daubed a clear embossing ink all over this window grid stencil. THEN at last I finally removed the grid stencil and sprinkled Suze Weinberg's Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel all over the window panes. Next tap off any excess powder and heat with a heat gun. I then mounted this finished window on a pale blue card stock and also placed a small strip of brown at the base to create a window sill to give the kitties a place to sit. For instructions on this faux ceramic tile technique you can watch it being done on my DVD titled Unique Techniques (DVD-1).


I paste-embossed the three cats stencil (LM266) with Glossy White Embossing Paste (DGWP). And immediately when I removed the stencil I sprinkled the cat on the left with black glitter being careful to waterfall (or angle) the cardstock away from the other two wet pasted cats. Next I glittered the cat of the far left with a pale gold glitter this time angling the paper away from the middle cat. Then I paste-embossed the "Celebrate" stencil (LS90) using Matte Black Embossing Paste (DMBP) in the middle of the windows. It is a little tricky to paste over the top of something as "bumpy" as this window background, but I used the new paste spreader (LM2010) and that has made a really big difference. The difference being that I can usually paste something with just one sweep across the stencil rather than going over it several times. Remember that every time you stroke across the stencil with a palette knife or spreader you run the risk of the paste squishing under the stencil. Once the "pasted" kitties are dried you can reposition the stencil and overlay the zebra background stencil (LJ815) on top of the gold glittered kitty and stencil with brown pigment ink to get his stripes. The calico cat in the middle was daubed with brown and black pigment ink...leaving just a few patches of white showing through. I even stenciled the inner edges of the black cat with black pigment ink to give him some shadows or depth. Then the window and sill were placed on a piece of dark blue velvet paper for the feeling of a night time celebration.


Pam Hornschu, our new team leader, will be letting us know how our 2012 blog challenges will be done this year. Below is Mr. Linky and we look forward to your playing along soon.

12 comments:

Louise said...

Lynell, this is wonderful! Those cats are absolutely adorable looking out your window. Great card. Happy New Year!

Laura Drahozal said...

How cute! I love how the kitties are watching the New Year's celebration....it makes me think of my dog watching celebrations and probably thinking, "Wow, all these people are here just to pet me!" What a great combination of stencils. You created a real piece of art here.

Liz Martin said...

This is beautiful and worth every step and technique involved. Perfect for us "cat people."

Kristi Parker Van Doren said...

Lynell..this is too cool. That Tech is still one of my favs! Very amazing!

Pam Hornschu said...

Love the kitties!!!! You knew that didn't you? Of course, if those were real kitties, they'd be out attacking the streamers and confetti! Love the window panes. I have that stencil...need to use it!

sommrstamping said...

Lynell I so love the way you do this technique, it always looks so good. Those kitties look so cute watching out the window.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Fun technique!

Daria said...

This looks and sounds so complicated, but it sure is worth the effort. Beautiful card!

BTW, Scrapbook Territory's blog shows that you will be teaching there on Thursday the 12th, not Saturday, the 14th. If you're going to be there on a Saturday, I need to hurry and sign up if there is still room!

Lynell Harlow / Dreamweaver Stencils said...

Darla...I talked to the owner today and there was an error. The class is on Saturday the 14th, so hope to see you there. Because of the error I am pretty sure there is still room. I can take 16 in each class.

Daria said...

Thank you, Lynell. I'll call first thing on Monday. They are closed today and tomorrow. Now, which class do I take? I'd love to take both of them!

Jessie Hurley said...

Lynell, I LOVE how you coloured the glitter on the kitties, it makes them look like you could reach out and pet them!

Karen W said...

Wow I just found this blog after someone on SCS asked me to post my metal heart card here, what fun!! I will check back more now that I have it in my favorites.

Post a Comment