Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thursday's Dream Schemes/Free Challenge Week

Once again it is free challenge week, which means you can create whatever your heart desires. There are so many wonderful techniques, but this week I am posting a technique from Kim Parkinson. She is a design team member from the Boston area and she sent this creation some time ago that was a totally new technique for me. Kim works quite a bit with metal and alcohol inks, but this time she did a variation on that theme and used alcohol inks on the Dreamweaver Glossy White Embossing Paste. I know that Summer has just arrived and many of us are not yet thinking Fall creations, but for those of you that like to get a head start on seasonal cards this is a perfect technique for Autumn. 

She started her creation by paste embossing the background tree stencil (LJ849) with the Glossy White Embossing Paste (DGWP) onto black cardstock. She removed the stencil and cleaned it while the paste dried (approx. 45 min...faster if you let it dry on a warm skillet or griddle), then repositioned the clean stencil onto the image. Next she squirted random droplets of green colored alcohol ink onto a felt applicator and added droplets of the blending solution onto these green droplets. The next step was to daub the applicator randomly onto the stencil leaving large amounts of white paste showing. This gave her the ability to then use a clean felt applicator loaded with red alcohol ink and blending solution on these open white areas. I think she may have used an orange color as well. You can certainly use several colors, but be sure not to daub the red and green on top of each other unless you are trying to make the color brown. Thanks Kim for sending me this beautiful Fall card which could be used for any occasion.

If you get inspired this week play along by linking to Mr. Linky below. And travel to the Dream Team's blog by clicking on any name on the sidebar at the right.

12 comments:

Wendy said...

That is spectacular!! Never would have thunk. Way to go Kim!!!

Terrece said...

WOW! Very creative. Can't wait to try this new technique. Great job Kim!!!

Deborah March said...

WOW!! What a STRIKING piece!!

sommrstamping said...

Wo KIm this is beautiful I'm staring to think Fall.

Laura Drahozal said...

That Kim can come up with some really creative ideas. I hadn't thought about alcohol inks on the white glossy paste. VERY clever.

Kristi said...

Great card and fun tech! didn't think about white but had played on clear! GREAT job

Pam Hornschu said...

Since I am already sick of summer, I love seeing this gorgeous fall card from Kim. Can I jump into that card right now and stay until October? Very cool technique...another one to try out!

Anonymous said...

I am so inspired... I never thought of putting alcohol inks on the glossy paste. Too Cool! Gotta go play!

Liz Martin said...

Definitely have to add alcohol inks and glossy white paste to the "things to try" list, though I might use cool colors. I'm not ready to give up on summer just yet, though I wouldn't mind some cooler temps.

SherylH said...

Just beautiful -- at first I thought the trees had been cut out of black metal and pasted over an alcohol background. But using the paste would be much easier!

Louise said...

So pretty! We really are kindred spirits Lynell, even though you didn't make this one, I chose this same stencil this week! Sorry I'm so late.

Victoria said...

Great card. Will have to give that technique a try! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment