Thursday, July 21, 2011

Thursday's Dream Schemes/Colorway Challenge -Monochromatic

I love these colorway challenges and this week Louise Healy submitted the challenge. And I CASEd my design from one by Marj Marion that I posted last year. She did a beautiful variation of blues for a card that showcased the sea turtle stencil (LM179).


My take on monochromatic is blue as well...starting with the Glossy White Embossing Paste (DGWP) and then adding the Glossy Blue Embossing Paste (DGBP). A little Glossy Black Embossing Paste (DGKP) mixed into the blue moved the creation into a navy blue realm and the cardstock in the background is navy blue as well. 


I call this technique "freestyle pasting". The background was done by loading the palette knife and moving across the white cardstock three different "swipes" with a different color variation each time. Then while it was still wet I sprinkled thick glitter  from Art Institute Glitter that was somewhat chunky. The name of the glitter was called "Gala Blitz-Blue" and it has small shards of blue glass and silver beads as well as glitter. Then the bear stencil (LL593) was paste-embossed using the "sludge-paste" technique. You can read about this technique in more detail in my book, New Dimensions in Cardmaking Using Embossing Pastes with Metal Stencils (Book-3). I pull several different colors of pastes across the stencil at the same time and try not to mix it too much by swiping it too many times. If you mix it together too much you lose the definition of the colors, but can recapture the look by sculpting just a bit of one paste color back onto the design with the tip of the palette knife.  I also sprinkled silver micro beads onto him before I removed the stencil from the wet paste. It is important to sprinkle these beads on while the stencil is still in place or they will roll into the cracks and you will lose the definition of the design. You will notice that I regained some definition with his ear by drawing blue ink around it once the paste was dry.


Hope you have fun creating this week. If you are interested in seeing what the team has done follow the sidebar at the right to visit their sites. If you decide to follow the challenge just use Mr. Linky below and we will enjoy having you play along. You can also email me a creation and I will post it here for you. My email is: lynell@dreamweaverstencils.com

6 comments:

Liz Martin said...

The colors are so rich and classy and really convey the feeling of cold and ice – something I'll be thinking about later today as our temps reach into the 90s. Hoping you're all having a great time and staying cool in Chicago.

Wendy said...

Liz is right. It does feel cold and icy! I hope that your trip to CHA was fabulous. I can't wait to visit with you again!

Marijane said...

Great technique! Thanks for the details. Bet you could have used a little of that "icy-cold" feel this week in Chicago! Can't wait to see all the new stencils.

Kristi said...

love this card! it is GREAT

Pam Hornschu said...

Love the shades of blue and white running together and the texture of the beads just takes it over the top! Love it!

sommrstamping said...

This card is so cool. I love the used of the beads and glass shards. I really do need to get those things out and use them.

Post a Comment