Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Zensdays with Lynell and Wayne #5

Creation #1: The Diva's Challenge #196

This week's challenge at the diva's site is presented by Emily Classon CZT. Be sure to visit the diva's site to follow and see what everyone is creating....truly mind bloggeling, (you can even join in the challenge) click HERE.

And here is what Emily has challenged us with in her own words:

"I invite you to be inspired by dolls like I have been.  Awaken your inner child, and add some playtime to your tangling with a doll-shaped string, a tangled paper doll chain, or a tangled fabric doll.  Do you have an old Barbie stuck in a trunk somewhere?  I bet there’s a way to tangle her too."

Today my doll inspiration came from the apron stencil (LG736) and I CASEd Wendy Jordan's beautiful creation from Suzanne McNeil's book Zentangle 6. Ms. Suzanne was kind and used many of our stencils in her book to create ZIA projects. Stencils are a different way of drawing the strings for your patterns.


Doing the apron did remind me of cutting out paper doll clothes while growing up in the 60s. 

Several of the tangles are also from Suzanne's book. But these are also the following tangles: 
flying geese, leaflet, cockles and mussels are on the pocket, shattuck, and several that are quilt type of patterns. Remember that you can also create your own patterns like Suzanne did.

For information on how to do some of the tangles above go to tanglepatterns.com to find step-
by-step instructions.

This is not a traditional tile, but rather what is considered a ZIA or Zentangle inspired art. I made the apron tangle-ation into a greeting card with a black and white satin ribbon for an embellishment that I found at the local craft store and some black buttons as well.

To see Wayne's fabulous tangleation for this challenge you can go to his flickr site by clicking HERE.




As I got older I became a bit of a doll collector...my sister was an influence, but as you go to the diva's site and see what people have created a couple of people did the Matryoshka nesting dolls that are a very famous Russian doll...click HERE to see Sue's creation. Several years ago my friend, Shirley Day, famous theorem painter from Mass. visited me and we attended the Society for Decorative Painters Convention in San Diego together. At one of the booths were Russian decorative painters selling their fabulous creations and I couldn't resist purchasing a nested set for my doll collection. Imagine creating with brushes that have just a few sable 
bristles to do this wonderful work...here are a couple of pictures:





  Creation #2: Zentangle Quilt (#5)

This quilt design was one that I did when Wayne and I got quilt crazy a few weeks ago. The tangle design is 4 corners by Barbara Finwall and click HERE to go to tangle patterns and discover her steps and variations on the design. I started by using a stencil to make the quilt grid (LJ811). If you don't have a metal stencil like this one you can draw a grid. After I tangled the grid, I colored it in with my ancient Prisma color pencils and then put the stencil back on and daubed on a clear ink and clear embossing powder. Final step is to heat the powder to make the finish raised and shiny. If you are interested in a free instruction sheet on the technique email me and I will send you the pdf of steps. lynell@dreamweaverstencils.com



Creation #3: Another Christmas Card by Wayne and moi. This time in a very non-traditional Christmas colorway.

Materials: Checkered Paper and Micron 01 pen LS26 snowflake stencil, matte black embossing paste, DG674 ornament die

Tangles used from top to bottom: Cadent and Yew dee


Be sure to pop back tomorrow to see what our new challenge is for the month of December and view the winners for the month of November's challenge.



20 comments:

ionabunny said...

The apron looks fantastic. Looking forward to the next challenge. Hugz

Ilse said...

Beautiful work, all your tiles!

Unknown said...

I like your tiles but most of all I like the dress for the diva-challenge! What a good idea to make a greeting card with it - like the buttons on it ;-)

Deb Kopeschny said...

Hello Lynell, Thanks for sharing your Zentangle inspired designs. Your 'doll dress' is a cute take on the doll challenge. p.s. I don't see any flaws! Ciao.

Lori said...

Very stylish. I love that you turned it into a card.

Didisch said...

Beautiful Apron. I like the way you made a card out of it. So cute with the little buttons. Love the layout.

Unknown said...

Such clever creations. I love the way the stencils and Zentangle designs work so well together.

Duchess said...

super cute apron!

rose s. said...

luv the tangle designs and am def. going to try the quilt one. your matryoska dolls are truly amazing. i saw pysanky done like that and was truly blown away. pictures don't do them justice. thx for all the inspiration. :)

Anne's tangle blog said...

So much beautiful stuff in this post! I love the apron, it's quite classy (can an apron be that?). I also love the Christmas card you and Wayne made. The Russian dolls are beautiful, it's great that you see them all over the world.
And I want to thank you for all your kind comments in my blog!

lilystangles said...

Beautiful tiles :)

Viki Banaszak said...

These are really all so pretty! I love your nesting foll set. I have a set, but not that elaborate. Mine are all different. Mother, father, daughter son and baby. The mother is in shock as the kitty knocks the milk over. It is a cute set

David Hunter said...

A wonderfully creative Post, Lynell. Love your "All Dolled Up" challenge Tile.You designed a beautiful card with it. Well done.

jeanchaneyaz said...

You have been very busy. I love your ZIA and thank for sharing those wonderful nesting doll pictures too. I think your cards are pretty too.

Suzanne Fluhr said...

Your apron is a lovely response to the Diva's challenge and not surprisingly, you converted it into a beautiful card. I wish I had thought about the Russian dolls before I did my response to the challenge (forehead slap). As a frustrated quilter, I also enjoy your quilt inspired art.

CraftyJo said...

Lovely 'tangling' - It's another one of those things I'm going to practise more when I find time. My grand-daughter (aged 4.5) loves playing with my set of Russian dolls :)

LezliB said...

Your apron tangle reminds me of one of the Barbie dresses I have from the early years. But yours is much more involved. The tangles you used are perfect. Great work!

Antonine said...

Oh, the Russian dolls are exquisite! I love your apron for the Diva's challenge. I collect aprons, and I WANT THAT ONE!! Great interpretation and beautifully executed on the card.

Nata said...

Beautiful dress and such lovely Russian Dolls.

MomZenArtist said...

Beautiful card. That vibrant fuchsia looks amazing with your tangles. I love that apron stencil, and it's so perfect for tangling (and paste embossing, of course). I can see why you got that stunning nesting doll. She's exquisite. I can't comment on Flickr, but Wayne's piece for this challenge was truly special. I've always been a fan of his work, and I'm blown away by his response this week. His doll is elegant and breathtaking. Thank you both for playing with my challenge this week. :-)

Post a Comment

Blog Archive