Monday, July 6, 2015

Zensdays: Summertime Color


This summer the diva, Laura Harms, is taking a break to spend some quality time with her young family and has turned over the responsibility of challenges to a others. So if you would like to follow her blog this summer click HERE to see what you may have to opportunity to attempt in the way of interesting Zentangle creations. This week, Jen Crutchfield CZT, has challenged us to add color to our work. Her creation was done on white paper in red/white/blue inks but she is open to seeing how we interpret the challenge. Wayne and I are each using a watercolor paper which our daughter rendered hombré-style watercolor washes onto. As you can see I went a little wild and it was a great practice session working with the tangle pattern Mooka. Not every line as I wanted them but it was Zen and that's what this one was all about today.


Wayne's creation this week is also done on one of our daughter's watercolor wash papers, but he used Sakura's Moonlight set of gel pens (38716). The colors he used were hot pink, purple and the color that looks blue (to me anyway) was actually teal...then he used a white gel pen on the Akoya tangle beads for highlights.


We were relaxing for the weekend at my Mum's home and here are a few pix of Wayne icing his knee and tangling on the back of an envelope. I find his creations all over the place done often on envelopes. BTW he said today his knee is feeling better.









Wayne working a grid based pattern.

Mom with pal: Sir Gawain and BTW when you order from Stencilwithstyle.com you are directed to the website she created on her own. Pretty great for someone almost 80. Yay!


Bachelor Buttons and the twenty-four  fruit trees in the background which she nurtures for a bountiful harvest in the late summer.




They have had an extremely hot spell in Eastern Oregon and the peaches will be ripening a lot sooner than usual.


The English Walnut tree has been dropping nuts and foliage into the lawn and Wayne has had the fun (yes he does actually enjoy it...or says so anyway) of helping with mowing the lawn on Mom's riding mower while here. When we aren't here she does it herself.

32 comments:

Susan said...

Both of your tiles are very pretty

Ilse said...

Two beautiful Diva tiles!

The Yorkshire Tortoise said...

Wow, your mother has more energy than I have

Joanne Faherty said...

I love your colours. Esp akoya ( I can't get that tangle right) :)

Jean Chaney said...

So nice that you are able to share your interest with your husband. I really like both of them.

Lila Popcheff said...

Fabulous Mookas! and the colours of the 2nd piece are very pretty - such clean linework.

Dorita Menconi said...

The tangles are beautiful and so are the papers.

Kreanimo said...

Lovely! Mooka looks great and I love te white touches on the second one.

Lily M. said...

Beautiful :)

Kylie D said...

Love the flow of the Mooka!

Yukari Bromfield said...

Both tiles are wonderful! It's great you and your husband can share a hobby!

Ulrike B. said...

very nice

Annette Carlo said...

Lynell, I love your Mooka Zia. I just love Mooka, it's my most favorite tangle.Beautiful pictures too. Thanks for sharing! Did Wayne have knee surgery? Well, I hope he's feeling better soon, if he did. I love that he leaves bits of his creations all over the place. Every piece of paper is a treasure! :0) ((hugs)) Annette

Jay said...

Lovely patterns

LonettA said...

Both are lovely! Fine coloured background!

Donald Wilka said...

Like your Mooka gone wild piece. I like Wayne's use of the Moonlight pens. I have some but have not used them a lot. His Akoya looks great. I have not really been able to get that tangle yet.

Margaret Blank said...

Hi Lynnel, great to see your work again, I've missed you recently. I'm very hit and miss with Mooka so I'm really, i mean, REALLY impressed with your Diva piece here. I love how this works and those gentle colours make a wonderful background. Wayne's pinks and blues are great, so brave to leave"white space" if you see what I mean. Seeing the Akoya tangle spaced like that makes me want to try it - I have a tendency to cramp it up a bit and it never occurred to me to twist more than one row together.

Love the photos at your mum's lace, it looks idyllic.

By the way, I've been using more of your stencils, including the cat. The butterfly and the mushrooms get a lot of use too; everyone seems to like them. I'll put some pics on my next post for your to have a look at.

dianeclancy said...

Both are wonderful!! So neat your daughter is involved too :) Great photos to see your life!! :)

~ Diane Clancy
http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2015/07/my-diva-jen-crutchfield-2-color-challenge-entry

Helen Williams said...

Beautiful soft colouring on your pieces. I especially love the mooka. Loved the garden pics, too.

Anne's tangle blog said...

Lovely Mooka!!!

Annie Taylor said...

Super tangles and wonderful colours - it's nice to see this is a family activity! Axxx

hungrycorgistudio said...

Wow! The first picture/piece is lovely. I love how it flows amongst the colors and the tangles and they work together. And the second was such a summertime sunset feel. Very nice choices and done so well. Sarah.

Indira said...

Both tiles are lovely and your Mom's place sound heavenly.

Sue Sharp said...

What a lovely blog entry! It's so nice to see a bit of people's lives. I LOVE your Mooka tile! It's a fabulous tangle, but doesn't often work for me - I'm inspired to try to use it a bit more, and to do a mono tangle tile (or more) and I it's so pretty on the colour washed paper.

Sandra Sch. said...

I love your Mooka-monotangle - it's so accurate drawn and the background is wonderful :-)
Wonderful to see photos of your family!
Greetings to you from germany, Sandra :-)

Katie C said...

I LOVE both your and Wayne's colorful art! Your Mooka is fantastic. I totally love Wayne's color choices. I marvel at his Crusade. I'm still trying to really "get" that!

BurningRubber said...

Wow! I can't believe your mom is so energetic! Oh how I wish I had half that energy. That looks like quite a large yard for her to take care of.
I am so far behind on my reading of posts. I love your zentangle works. Obviously the creative gene runs in the family.

Bella Carta at Art 'n Soul said...

your mom is a real gem! hope Wayne's knee continues to get better. hugs

Margaret Blank said...

Hi Lynell, I've just seen Wayne's latest post on the Diva Challenge and, as I can't seem to work out how to comment on Flickr, I am leaving a comment here. Wow! is my comment. This is so beautifully done. Anyway, just tell him how much I admire his work, won't you?

Sathya G said...

Hey, good day
Thanks for sharing such valuable information.i want more these type of informatiove blogs, really thankful.SEO Company in Chennai

Suseela Susiee said...



What an awesome post, I just read it from start to end. Learned something new after a long time.


SAP FICO Training in Chennai

Anne NormaStephanie said...

I simply want to tell you that I’m all new to blogs and truly liked you’re blog site. Very likely I’m likely to bookmark your site .You surely come with remarkable articles. Cheer for sharing your website page.
Cara Mengatasi Alergi Transfusi Darah
Cara Menurunkan Trombosit Tinggi
Cara Menurunkan Leukosit Tinggi Pada Anak

Post a Comment